School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences (SSHES)
School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences (SSHES)
Explore Sport Science at Bangor
If you are looking for a Sport Science degree with inspirational teaching from world-class researchers that will enhance your employability, explore your options at Bangor.
The School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences at Bangor is highly rated for Research Quality (7th in the UK in REF 2014) and student satisfaction. All our researchers teach, leading to inspirational teaching with research-led modules and supervised experience designed to develop your applied skills and help your employability.
- WhatUni? Awards 2018 saw Bangor’s student accommodation and clubs and societies ranked No.1 in the UK and the University ranked 3rd overall as well as being top 10 is several other categories
- 8th(of 81) in the UK for Sport Science ‘Student Satisfaction’ in the National Student Survey 2018
- 5th in the UK for Sports Science Research Quality in the 2019 Complete University Guide
- 4th Best place in the world to visit (Lonely Planet 2017)
Watch our videos to explore our courses and facilities, and find out what makes Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences at Bangor University so special.
If you want a sports science degree with a touch of adventure then our degrees will suit you.
Undergraduate degrees include:
- Adventure Sport Science BSc (Hons)
- Adventure Sport Science MSci
- Sport Science BSc (Hons)
- Sport Science MSci
- Sport, Health and Exercise Science BSc (Hons)
- Sport, Health and Exercise Science MSci
- Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) BSc (Hons)
- Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) MSci
- Sport, Health and Physical Education BSc (Hons)
- Sport and Exercise Psychology BSc (Hons) – Accredited by the British Psychological Society
Postgraduate degrees include:
- Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology MSc
- Applied Sport Science MSc
- Exercise Rehabilitation MSc
- Sport and Exercise Psychology (BPS Accredited) MSc
- Sport and Exercise Physiology MRes
- Sport and Exercise Psychology MRes
- Sport and Exercise Sciences MRes
- Sport, Health and Exercise Science PhD/MPhil
To apply online for our postgraduate courses please visit our website.
Bangor also promises a stunning location set between the mountains of Snowdonia and the sea; probably one of the best university locations for pursuing sport and outdoor activities.
The city itself is a small, friendly cathedral city that offers a safe and affordable place to live and free membership of all student clubs and societies offers students a wealth of experiences outside the lecture hall.
Future Career and Employability
The Bangor Employability Award enables students to build on their transferable skills through the recognition of activities they become involved in during their university life. Students can gain points towards the award through extra-curricular activities such as volunteering, attending workshops or actively participating in the Students’ Union’s clubs and societies.
Employability is also a key part of all postgraduate degrees and we have a dedicated ‘Supervised Experience’ module to give students direct experience of how their studies can be applied to the wide variety of careers they can go into with one of our degrees.
Research and Facilities
All our degrees give you the opportunity to work with our staff renowned for their expertise in three Research Groups:
In exercise rehabilitation and disease prevention, the Physical Activity for Health and Wellbeing Group collaborates with local NHS Boards and medical charities (eg Arthritis Care and Research).
The Extremes Research Group works with the Ministry of Defence (eg British Army), research charities (eg Medical Expeditions) and international sports teams to investigate how the body reacts to extreme environments and conditions.
In sport and exercise psychology, the Institute for the Psychology of Elite Performance collaborates with the Ministry of Defence (eg leadership), with UK Sport and individual sports (eg England and Wales Cricket Board, Rugby Football Union).
As you’d expect, the School is well resourced to support the full range of scientific study in sport, health and exercise physiology/psychology, motor control and learning, exercise rehabilitation and motion analysis. Facilities include:
- exercise physiology testing and rehabilitation laboratories, equipped with an Ultrasound and Isokinetic Dynamometer;
- environmental and hypoxia chambers – to allow testing in extreme temperature and humidity conditions and at simulated high altitudes;
- a dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scanner
- motion analysis and psychomotor testing laboratories
- psychology testing laboratories including a driving simulation and observation/interview suite;
- cell biology and biochemistry laboratories.
Our Excellence Funding gives you a £1,000 fee reduction if you have a First Class honours degree (or equivalent). In addition, masters students have the opportunity to APPLY for a Graduate Assistantship – an innovative feature that allows them to put some of their learning into practice by being paid to support School activities, to help develop personal applied support skills and to enhance their CVs with direct experience to support their future employability.
Jason SaibanSports lawyer
Charles Russell Speechlys
Who we work with Past and Present
Careers in Sport
Suite 1, Bulldog House, 267 – 269 Reading Road
Winnersh, Wokingham, RG41 5AB
T: 0345 017 0825