Water Polo Head Coach
The University of Warwick Swimming and Water Polo Club is one of the largest student run clubs at the University of Warwick. We operate from the University’s brand-new sports and wellness hub, which consists of a 8-lane, 25m state-of-the-art swimming facility. We also have a thriving Swimming side and have swimmers and water polo players with a very wide range of abilities, ranging from total beginner to international standard.
Warwick Water Polo has been going since 1999 and has established itself as one of the strongest clubs in the region, playing good polo at Senior and Junior levels – and with a strong social side to the club too! This year, for the first time, we have entered the National League and are mid-way through the first season. We have a strong youth/Junior section and are looking to develop an U18 squad to compete next year.
We are looking for a dynamic and self-motivated individual qualified to a minimum of Level 1, to join the Club as Head Coach in September 2020.As Water polo Coach you will be primarily responsible for the coaching of athletes in our Performance and beginner squads and aim to deliver a high-quality programme that works towards success at BUCS level; you will be responsible for the planning, delivery, education and development of athletes within this squad. With this role, you will implement and manage the ‘Performance’ elements of the strategic plan ensuring continuous and ongoing development to include the following responsibilities:
- Lead the training and competition programme of the Men’s 1st and Women’s 1st teams.
- Create an interesting, varied and challenging training program for all teams, accommodating for differences in ability.
- Be present and deliver the training sessions, which requires you to be available at the following times:
- Mondays 18:30 – 20:30
- Wednesdays (mainly matches) 14:00 – 17:30
- Fridays 18:30 – 20:30
- Saturdays 13:00 – 17:00
- Encourage new members of the team, which may include those new to the sport, to stay with the club. This will include working with the captains on development plans for individual club members. Rotate beginners consistently within match squads and implement development plans with a forward-looking perspective.
- Be available to coach matches which are mainly on a Wednesday afternoon, there may be matches on other days on occasion, but you will be notified of these in advance.
- Liaise with Warwick Sport to ensure an all-round development of athletes.
- Helping the captains with squad selection, considering attendance as well as ability.
- Expected to attend regular meetings with the exec to assess progress throughout the year.
Additional hours with Warwick Town Water Polo Team are also available. This would include coaching Warwick Town Men’s 1st and Jrs. team and would involve up to 5 hours of work every week, all-year round at the Warwick School Sports Centre Warwick Town Training Times: Monday: 9:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. (In Banbury during the summer months) Wednesday: 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Sunday: 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Juniors)
5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. (Matches)
SALARY Competitive (+ allowances); Negotiable dependent on experience and qualifications)
WORKING HOURS 18 hours a week (13 hours with University of Warwick Water Polo + 5 hours with Warwick Town) The hours are flexible and open to negotiation according to the applicant’s suitability.
- University of Warwick Sports and Wellness Hub, Leigh field Rd, Coventry CV4 7EU.
- Warwick School Sports Centre, Myton Rd, Warwick CV34 6PP.
This coaching role is a self-employed opportunity and therefore any successful candidate will only be contracted for services on a self-employed basis. To be registered as a self-employed coach you will be required to present the following:
- Professional Indemnity insurance and Public Liability insurance.
- Must have a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR).
All applications should be submitted here:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfMpO-xLrlpKHaMmOQo4rB8TTP2IFfVYdVFD4sz5WOGr1YBWQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
Alternatively, you can mail them to email@example.com consisting of a CV and a Cover Letter. The application would be followed by a short interview. The role is to start as early as possible.
We are aware of the current lockdown and disruptions caused by Covid-19 Pandemic and do not expect to conduct an interview or expect you to start until all normal operations are restored.
For further information on the application or if you have any questions contact Kartik Patil (Water Polo President) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 23:59 hrs, 5th June, 2020.
Interviews: w/c 10th June 2020 (by arrangement)
Interested in applying for this Head Coach job vacancy? Access careers advice from leading professionals via our ‘Careers in Teaching and Coaching‘ section of our website.