Job Title: Sports Lecturer
Department: Community Trust
Term: 2-year fixed term
Location: Birmingham, West Midlands (across different delivery sites)
Hours of work:37.5 hours per week
Annual Leave: 20 days plus 8 bank holidays per annum pro rata increasing by 1 day for every continual year of employment to a maximum of 25 days annual leave (pro rata) for this post will be set by the needs of the business and will need to be taken in October half term, Christmas, February half term and Easter half term holidays.
Reporting Structure:The job holder will report to the 16-19 Football Education Manager
Application Closing Date:09/04/2021
The post holder will be responsible for the delivery of high-quality teaching, learning & assessment across a variety of different academic programmes including Level 2 and 3 Further education courses and Foundation Degrees within the BCFC Community Trust.
BCFC Community Trust Football & Education department aims to deliver outstanding teaching, learning & assessment across a variety of full time / part time academic courses to the local community.The sports lecturer will be involved in the day-to-day delivery, across a range of programmes, as well as being a personal tutor to a particular group.The sports lecturer will work closely with the senior sports lecturer.The sports lecturer will assist in overseeing the day-to-day delivery of teaching, learning and assessment within the 16-19 FEP over a number of central locations.The post holder will be required to deliver a full programme of teaching, learning and assessment each week as well as completing preparation for future programmes beyond the academic year.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Teach/assess/support learners across a range of courses at different levels and if necessary, service other departments within the community trust.
- To develop a personal tutorial programme to support and enhance learner’s personal development, behaviours, and welfare (PDBW)
- Undertake personal tutorial responsibilities for appropriate group/s of students.
- Support the monitoring of student attendance and progress and liaise with funding partner to ensure student progress data is updated regularly.
- Complete registers reports and other statistical information as required for departmental or college administrative purposes.
- Devise set and mark assignments / assessments.
- support on internal quality assurance for education provision within BCFC Community Trust for moderation and ensuring all lecturers are working to SOW’s and planning is evident in all lessons to ensure full engagement of learners.
- Take an active role in curriculum development and innovation by contributing to shared centralised banks of teaching & learning materials, assignments and schemes of work etc.
- Be a proactive member of the course team and assist in the evaluation of teaching and learning materials and strategies.
- Contribute to the advice, guidance and assessment of current and prospective learners, e.g. student interviews, open evenings, parent evenings.
- Contribute to course marketing activities.
- Undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required of you, commensurate with your grade.
- Demonstrate professionalism, professional discretion, technical competence, good interpersonal and networking skills and the ability to work independently as required
- Participate in the Community Trust Performance reviews
- Undertake administrative tasks relevant to the role, including up to date tracking of students
- Be fully aware of Community Trust policies relating to equality and diversity and actively promote positive practice.
- Maintain awareness of the requirements of the Community Trust Health and Safety policy and promote positive practice in respect of health and safety rules in the workplace
- Support promotional events and undertake occasional evening and weekend duties as required and undertake such other duties compatible with the post as may be required by the Community Trust.
- Attend meetings as required
- Undertake staff development activity as required
- Support enrolment procedures as appropriate and cover for absent colleagues as appropriate
- Have an awareness of and cultural sensitivity to the needs of staff and students regardless of age, ethnic origin, gender, disability or sexual orientation
- Comply with Equal Opportunities policies and assistance in the development of equality of opportunity for all students and staff
Person Specification and Experience
- Have experience of working with 16-19 learners
- Able to communicate effectively with both learners and colleagues
- Have some knowledge and understanding of current trends in Further Education
- Possess good administrative and organisational skills and be able to communicate effectively with staff, students, parents, employers and prospective students.
- Possess the ability to generate enthusiasm and commitment in students
- Be committed to the Community Trust Equal Opportunities
- Be highly motivated and flexible in approach
- Have a commitment to the Community Trust vision, values and behavioural framework
- Recent relevant vocationally linked work e.g. sports coaching industry
- Oversee the design and delivery of a high-quality coaching programme in which player development is at the heart of everything we do.
- Support the development of the education provision ensuring the department meets its strategic outcomes.
- To be an outstanding lecturer that sets the highest standards to all FEP education staff. The post holder will be expected to deliver within the timetable and quality assure the programme.
- To communicate effectively with key stakeholders both internally and externally to ensure BCFC Community Trust can offer a positive football programme to learners.
- To play an active role in the recruitment of new learners on a variety of education programmes through attendance at open evenings, network events and team meetings. .
- Implement a robust and ongoing quality assurance programme and act upon findings and evaluation.
- Complete reports and attend meetings as required by your line manager.
- Work with Education manager regarding future developments of education provision as well as recruitment of learners.
- HND / Degree in Sport
- Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training / PGCE or Cert-Ed (working towards)
- Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training
- A1 Assessors qualification
- FA DBS
- FA Emergency Aid
- FA Certificate in Safeguarding Children
- Awarding body sports coaching qualification
- UEFA B License (working towards) or similar sports industry qualification
- V1 Verifiers Qualification
- Sports massage qualification (ability to deliver sports massage course)
- Previous experience of delivering traineeships, apprenticeships, NVQ’s and other FE Courses
- D1 Mini-bus driving licence
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively as part of a team, using a variety of communication tools (verbal, written, digital) ensuring clarity of information.
- Ability to lead the team and promote the principles and standards set by the Community Trust
- Ability to work within timescales & under pressure, with attention to detail & accuracy.
- PC proficient.
- Positive approach to teamwork and respect for others.
- Must adhere to confidentiality and data protection procedures at all times.
- Ability to communicate appropriately with all ages and remain professional.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, flexible and proactive approach to workload.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays
- Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
- Must wear correct BCFC clothing for all practical delivery or alternatively a shirt & trouser for meetings and lecturers.
Only applicants that demonstrate within their application that they meet the above criteria will be considered for the role.
Under the Disclosure and Barring Service and in accordance with the Club’s own rules regarding Safeguarding the post-holder will be required to meet minimum criteria regarding Safeguarding and a Disclosure and Barring Check will be required in this post. Exceptions Order to Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 applies.