Job Title: Sports Development Officer
Department: Play, Youth, Sport
Responsible to: Youth Work Manager
Status Permanent / Full Time
Location: Bolton Lads and Girls Club Sites
To Apply: Send CV and detailed covering letter to email@example.com
**Please note that candidates who don’t provide a covering letter outlining how they meet the person specification, will not be considered for interview**
About Bolton Lads and Girls Club:
Bolton Lads and Girls Club is a youth club and registered charity centrally located in Bolton. Over 130 years ago, we were one of the first organisations in the North West to recognise the importance of providing young people with a safe haven to spend their free time.
We are one of the largest youth clubs in the United Kingdom, with a membership of over 3,500 young people. Based in Bolton’s town centre, we are open 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year and welcome all young people aged 8 to 19 years old (up to 21 for young people with disabilities).
We offer a range of targeted and universal provisions including sports, NCS, arts, targeted youth support and community outreach work.
We’re a registered charity and state-of-the-art Youth Club in the heart of Bolton and our state-of-the-art £5 million building provides young people with access to a range of activities, all offering young people the opportunity to try new things, meet new friends and gain support from friendly, warm and positive staff and volunteers.
Why work for us:
Bolton Lads and Girls Club were the first youth organisation awarded ‘Youth organisation of the year’ by UK Youth and is the proud recipient of the Queens Award. Our Organisation has a strong reputation both within the borough, regionally and nationally, for a high quality, innovative offer and exceptional talent development.
All staff have free access to our high-quality gym, during the day, you will also be enrolled into our pension plan and free holiday club care for our employees with children aged 8-12. We have a fantastic track record for professional development and training opportunities, and we are committed to developing our team. Come and join us in a fun working environment, where no two days are the same!
Our Vison and Values
Vison: Every young person in Bolton has the opportunity to be the best they can be.
Mission: We will provide great places to go, positive things to do, and people that care.
• Keep things simple.
• Always do the right thing.
• Offer excellent customer service.
• Provide an environment for people to be the best they can be.
• Be exceptional in the moments that matter.
We don’t give up and we do whatever it takes.
Genuine people who care make the difference.
We enable people to be the best they can be.
We aim to deliver the highest standards of service and continuously improve through robust quality assurance and innovation.
If you enjoy what you do, you do it better! Work is serious and we do it with a smile on our face.
Main Purpose of the role:
Main Purpose of the Sports Development Officer Role:
To deliver in line with the Clubs strategic plan a vibrant, cohesive and developmental sports offer across our centres. In addition to hand on sport delivery you will manage a team of paid and voluntary staff and will develop the framework to allow grassroots through to performance level participation in sports. You will work up to 4 evening or weekend sessions a week delivering/managing directly the provision with children and young people.
Key Responsibilities for the Sports Development Officer role:
• Develop a comprehensive multi sport coaching programme accessible to all young people based on the try, train, team model.
• To provide a framework to allow grassroots through to performance level participation.
• Champion growth and increase the service offer including schools delivery and partnership work.
• To be proactive in building relationships with local primary and secondary schools.
• Develop a range of activities and opportunities utilising the Club’s facilities.
• Ensure the sports facilities and resources are operational and maintained at all times in compliance with all current legislation and BLGC’s health and safety policies and procedures.
• Promote and market the aims and objectives of the Club, particularly with regard to coaching and sporting activities.
• To liaise with a wide range of partners; public, private and voluntary to expand coaching/sporting opportunities within the Club.
• To manage a team of part-time sports workers/coaches and volunteers.
• To develop partnerships and work closely with major bodies at local, regional and national levels.
• Keep up to date with new initiatives, which relate specifically to the role.
• To work closely with and develop opportunities for volunteers to support aspects of foundation coaching.
• To organise tournaments and competitive activities when necessary..
• Build excellent relations with staff, board members and our partners throughout the town.
• To adhere to the Club’s policies at all times, with particular emphasis on equal opportunities, health and safety and child protection.
• To report any behaviour, conversations or comments which are inappropriate within a setting for children and young people to the club’s safeguarding officer.
Person Specification for the Sports Development Officer role:
Applicants should be able to demonstrate that they can meeting the following:
Method of Assessment A=Application / I=Interview – E=Essential or D=Desirable
5 GCSEs at Grade c or above – or equivalent E A/I
Relevant sports quals E A/I
Youth Work Qualification or equivalent D A/I
Other vocational qualifications in sport, leadership or management D A/I
Health and Safety D A/I
A degree in sport, leisure, recreation, sports management or equivalent D A/I
Strong commitment to children and young people and ability to engage and build positive relationships with disengaged young people and delivery of sports coaching with young people. E I
Ability to identify and challenge discrimination and discriminatory behavior, taking appropriate action as necessary. E I
Good organisational skills. E A/I
Ability to plan, monitor, evaluate and prioritise work through setting realistic targets. E A/I
Ability to lead and motivate a team of part-time staff through and volunteers. Ability to coach others and bring out the best in them. E A/I
Centre/Facility Management D A/I
Influencing and engaging skills D A/I
Public speaking and presentations D A/I
Ability to network and liaise with relevant NGB’s, partner agencies in the area. D I
Working with young people in a sports environment E A/I
Demonstrable experience of supporting young people who are disaffected, underachieving and or have social/emotional barriers to participation. E A/I
Experience of managing staff and providing regular supervision. E A/I
Organising and programming sport at all levels from grassroots participation E A/I
Marketing experience D A/I
Implementation of sports initiatives D A/I
Experience of working within sports clubs or community work D A/I
Partnership working D A/I
Coaching others E A/I
Customer Service E A/I
Business acumen, problem solving and creative thinking E A/I
Delivery of sport within equal opportunities framework. E A
Understanding of local, regional and national initiatives in sport E A/I
Demonstrable knowledge of Health and Safety, Diversity Awareness and Safeguarding best practice and how these relate to young people and staff within the Youth Club D I
Patience, tolerance and flexibility. E I
Outcome and Target Driven E I
Creativity and enthusiasm. E I
Hands on can do attitude E I
Happy to work evenings and weekends E I
Driving licence and use of own vehicle E A/I
In accordance with our Child Protection and Safeguarding procedures, this position requires an Enhanced DBS.
For more jobs in sport or jobs in fitness visit the jobs board on Careers in Sport