Sports and Coaching Assistant
The Directors of The Gardener Schools Group have established Kew House School in the conviction that there exists an opportunity for a different kind of independent secondary school in London – academically demanding but with a modern approach to selection criteria, the flexibility of the curriculum, the shape of the school day and term and recognition of creativity and talent.
The school opened with 63 students in September 2013 and now has 550 with just under 600 expected for September 2020. We opened for internal and external sixth form candidates for the first time in September 2016.The school will grow to full capacity over the next 2 years with 625 students aged 11-18.
You are accountable to the Head and Director of Sport for all work undertaken.
The Sports and Coaching Assistant are responsible for the management of Sports equipment and strips, ensuring the following duties are completed to the highest standards.
Sports and Coaching Assistant Duties:
- To assist in the development of sport in the school through coaching and support activities for the PE staff
- To assist in coaching and the organisation of sport teams including after school and occasional weekend fixtures
- To manage coaching sessions and teams including home and away fixtures
- To attend fixtures in support of the PE staff
- To be available for staff and students to assist them in their work
- To ensure a safe and hygienic working environment in relation to sports equipment and facilities and to implement all aspects of the PE Safety Policy and appropriate Health &
- To ensure all PE areas including changing rooms, are clean, tidy and safe
- To organise the smooth functioning of PE facilities (including bookings).
- To be responsible for provision, preparation, maintenance and upkeep of any materials and equipment that may be needed by staff and students, ensuring efficient
- To report, through the appropriate channels, any malfunction or breakage of equipment or apparatus, ensuring remedial action and the instigation of safety procedures when necessary
- To be responsible for storing, monitoring and control of stock as directed by the Head of PE or line manager
- To ensure that equipment is stored in a tidy, safe manner, monitoring staff and students to ensure all strips and equipment are returned to stores and racks.
- To manage all aspects of administration and organisation of the Duke of Edinburgh programme to Gold level.
- To assist Head of Department/Boys/Girls Games & Rowing in administration duties relating to the PE display board, games option registers /fixtures/competitions/team sheets.
- To make full use of the information technology available.
- To comply with the School’s Dress Policy.
- To contribute to the safeguarding of children in the School.
- To carry out other reasonable tasks from time to time as directed by the Deputy Head/Manager or Headmaster.
- Working hours circa 45 (per week) arranged at the discretion of the Headmaster/ Head of PE.
- Term time only plus 6 training days per annum
All appointments are made in accordance with our equal opportunities policy and applicants should let us know of any special needs they may have.
Kew House School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and questions will be asked at interview to assess suitability of candidate to work with our children. All appointments are subject to satisfactory Criminal Record (DBS) check.
The school is committed to staff development and the position will provide a good springboard for further promotion within the school and beyond. All staff will be encouraged to attend INSET courses and will be provided with ample professional development opportunities.
The Recruitment Process
Candidates are required to submit a completed application form together with a supporting letter of application and details of two referees. One referee should be able to comment on the teaching skills of the candidate, and one must be the current or most recent employer. References will be taken prior to interview. Candidates must provide original documents as proof of identity at interview.
Short-listed candidates will be contacted by telephone/email and asked to attend an interview by arrangement.
Interested in this Sports and Coaching Assistant job vacancy? Check out the latest news and jobs on our ‘Teaching and Coaching‘ section of our website.