Sport in Mind is an independent mental health charity founded in Berkshire in 2010, with a simple mission:
“To improve the lives of people experiencing mental health problems through sport and physical activity”
Sport in Mind is the leading mental health sports charity in England, delivering innovative physical activity projects in partnership with the NHS to promote mental wellbeing, improve physical health, combat social isolation, and empower people to move their lives forward in a positive direction.
Our services are co-designed by people with personal experience of mental health problems and healthcare professionals, and we have supported the recovery of over 15,000 people.
As a growing organisation we seek to appoint a full-time Volunteer Coordinator.
- To recruit, retain, train and manage volunteers for Sport in Mind interventions and events across the South of England
Designation of Post and Position within Service
- Responsible to Head of Service
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and deliver a diverse recruitment strategy for volunteers
- Implement a volunteer retention model for both sessional and event volunteers
- Collect all relevant data for all volunteers and complete DBS checks.
- Advocate and motivate people to volunteer for Sport in Mind
- Build excellent rapport and communication with all potential and existing volunteers
- Develop a Sport in Mind Volunteer Policy and volunteer recognition scheme
- Develop and provide training for all volunteers, ensuring impact of personal development
- Monitor and evaluate Sport in Mind’s volunteer scheme, including conducting research.
- Complete data entry for sessions / events where required, ensuring all relevant data is collected.
- Attend and support internal and external events when appropriate and necessary.
- Support with ad-hock charitable matters.
- Be committed to good practice and ensure familiarity with all Sport in Mind policies and procedures (eg health & safety, confidentiality and safeguarding)
- To promote equality and diversity in all aspects of your work by developing and maintaining relationships, ensuring that colleagues are treated fairly and with respect/dignity.
Special/Other Requirements/Responsibilities of this Post
|Level of DBS check required for this post||Enhanced with a check of the barring list(s)|
|If *, does the post require a check against the list of people barred from working with vulnerable adults?||YES|
|If *, does the post require a check against the list of people barred from working with children?||YES|
|What other security/safer recruitment clearances are required for this post? (excluding standard identity/work permit/education qualification checks)||N/A|
|Responsibility for Health & Safety:||LEVEL 2|
|Please specify any other Statutory Duties and/or responsibilities of this post not already covered in the “Main Duties & Responsibilities” above||N/A|
- Full, valid driving licence
- Degree or relevant experience
- Safeguarding qualification
- Mental Health First Aid
- Over 2 years’ experience working with volunteers
- Over 1 years’ experience working with vulnerable people
- Health & safety and safeguarding
- Management of volunteers
- Working with highly confidential information and following GDPR
Skills, Abilities & Competencies
- Ability to think and work creatively whilst supporting others
- Highly organised – effective administration skills
- Excellent communication, written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent delivery of health and safety and safeguarding procedures
- Excellent motivational skills
- Good computer literacy
- A personal and/or working knowledge of mental health and sport and physical activity
Specific Working Requirements
- Work will be based in the Sport in Mind office, community and home.
- Able to work unsocial hours including weekends, bank holidays and occasional evenings where appropriate.
- Must bring a positive and enthusiastic image to the service you provide.
- Commitment to policies and procedures including equal opportunities.
- Willing and able to travel to different locations where necessary
Access the Careers in Sport CPD directory.