Salary: £19,352 per annum
As a Resident Sport Assistant living at Eton, you will have the opportunity to gain experience across all aspects of the school, but your primary activities will be assisting our extensive co-curricular sport programme. Alongside this you will work with our Summer School programme, help the school deliver our annual calendar of events, and perform House Assistant duties within two of our Boarding Houses.
In return, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including free accommodation on site, subsided meals, a range of other additional employee discounts and opportunities for personal development, such as the opportunity to undertake a number of coaching qualifications during your time at Eton. Previous Sport Assistant’s have gone on to achieve successful careers in sport, coaching and teaching.
This two year opportunity is for anyone with a passion for sport and the ability to convey this enthusiasm to young people. Along with excellent social skills, you will need natural coaching abilities, an open mind to consider and value the perspective of others, and the desire and dedication to make a difference to young people’s lives through sport.
- Contributing to the school’s sport programme, taking responsibility for a sports team or teams each half (term), providing coaching, supervision and guidance, and accompanying away matches against other schools;
- Participating and leading in training sessions and refereeing sports matches;
- Under the direction of the House Master, performing weekly House Assistant duties within two of the school’s boarding houses;
- Participating in informal duties across the College, such as; society meetings, contributing to the school’s ‘socials’ programme and acting as an exam invigilator;
- Providing logistical and administrative support to the Lower Master’s Office and Events Manager during major events, including (but not limited to), the school’s two major open days, Parent-Teacher meetings, and supervision of transport during the start and end of school holidays;
- Working with the Summer Schools team to help deliver our Summer Schools’ programme;
- Contributing to other areas of the co-curriculum (such as drama, societies and debating) depending on individual aptitude, experience and preferences, and as agreed with the Director of School Sport;
- Participating in the outdoor education programme including participation in outdoor trips;
- Undertaking any other reasonable tasks as requested.
Sports Assistants may also:
- Undertake some academic ‘team teaching’ with an experienced Master;
- Depending on qualifications and prior experience, undertake a small amount of classroom teaching;
- Support pupils with university applications during the Michaelmas half.
The Ideal Candidate
You will have a passion for sport and the ability to enthuse, motivate and inspire young people. Your own record of sporting and/or coaching achievement will be outstanding, and you will be excited to join a high-achieving and reflective culture.
As a colleague you will be positive, forward-looking and collaborative. You will value and embrace life in a full-boarding community and contribute whole-heartedly to all aspects of school life.
- Demonstrable experience in a range of sports with the ability to convey your passion for those activities;
- Prior experience of coaching or playing football, rugby or hockey is highly desirable. However, if you do not already have this experience, a willingness, passion and ability to learn how to coach one of these sports is essential;
- A desire to be fully involved with the life of a busy boarding-school;
- A team player and ability to work collaboratively with others;
- The ability to inspire, motivate and develop pupils confidence in themselves;
- The ability to positively influence and maintain good order and discipline amongst pupils;
- Flexibility, combined with the ability to juggle a variety of tasks;
- The natural inclination to consider the perspectives and opinions of others and encourage people to express their views;
- High levels of personal organisation and initiative, combined with the ability to make things happen;
- A proficient level of computer literacy;
- A commitment to uphold the highest standards of pupil welfare and safeguarding procedures.
Offering a competitive salary of £19,352 per annum and free accommodation*, this is a 2 year fixed-term contract, starting in September 2022 and ending in August 2024**.
Alongside this, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including subsided meals during term time, 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses. We also offer opportunities for personal development, such as the opportunity to undertake a number of coaching qualifications during your time at Eton.
*The accommodation available is similar to a Halls of Residence and is only suitable for a single person or a couple. Alternative accommodation is not available.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
If you have any queries about the application process or any problem with submitting your application online, the Recruitment Team will be happy to help. Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to apply online, please do not hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org so we can make adjustments accordingly.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to complete a DBS Disclosure Application Form. Any information disclosed will be handled in accordance with any guidance and/or Code of Practice published by the DBS. The College is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and therefore all convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings (including those which would normally be considered as “spent” under the Act) must be declared, subject to the DBS filtering rules. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website: https://jobsearch.etoncollege.com/jobs/job/Sport-Assistant/426
Closing date for applications: 30 January 2022