Marketing and Communications Manager
Role: To lead London Youth Games Marketing and Communications function
Hours: 30 hours a week
Salary: £33,000 to £38,000 pro rata
Location: London South Bank University, SE1 (Flexible with attendance at LYG events across London)
Holiday: 25 days per annum pro rata in addition to statutory bank holidays and lieu days
Reports to: Chief Executive
Closing date: 5pm Monday 27th January
Interviews: Wednesday 5th February
Start date: ASAP
Questions: If you have any questions about the role, please contact Andy Dalby-Welsh on
email@example.com or call 07508 337123
To apply for the Marketing and Communications Manager role:
Please send your CV with a covering letter (maximum 2 pages) outlining your suitability for the role and detailing why you are interested to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm 27th January.
- The role will require some weekend and evening work and therefore could be suited to someone looking for flexible working.
- CVs sent without a covering letter will not be accepted.
- Receipt of your application will be acknowledged by email.
- Only successful applicants for the next stage of the recruitment process i.e. interview will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within one week of the position’s closing date, please assume your application was not successful.
London Youth Games are recruiting a Marketing and Communications professional. This is an exciting time to join London Youth Games. We will be launching our new strategy in April 2020 in which you will play an important role.
We are looking forward to our second year of working in partnership with Nike and developing our partnerships with Sport England, the Greater London Authority and London’s 33 boroughs. We are a team of eight with aspirations to grow and develop greater opportunities through sport for any young Londoner.
Dina Asher-Smith, Raheem Sterling and David Weir are some of the sporting legends who have achieved great things having taken part in the London Youth Games. However, it is not just elite performers that London Youth Games develops. We believe in the power of sport to improve the lives of any young Londoner. We want to grow our reach across London with our partners and ensure that whoever you are, wherever in London you are from, and whatever your level of ability, you can enjoy and benefit from London Youth Games.
Our new Marketing and Communications Manager will play a critical role in the next phase of our development. You will start in time to influence the launch of our new strategy and to impact the awareness, look and feel of our 2020 Games. Our partnership with Nike enables us to work with a global leading brand in sport to assist us in achieving our goals. This provides an exciting opportunity for the successful applicant to build our brand awareness and raise the profile of London Youth Games with support from Nike.
If you have a flexible approach to work, are a highly motivated, committed and skilled communicator with a passion for young people achieving in life then please apply.
Marketing and Communications Manager role purpose
• To work with the CEO in positioning London Youth Games (LYG) as the leading organisation positively engaging young Londoners in sport.
• To lead and oversee the Marketing and Communication function for the charity.
• To manage and maximise LYG’s marketing and communication tools, systems and processes.
• To manage and promote LYG’s key messages – increasing participation of all young Londoners in sport.
• To work with our members and partners to promote the difference LYG makes to young Londoners and the boroughs they live in.
To work with the CEO to create the marketing and communications plan for LYG.
To work with the CEO and Head of Operations to continually develop, deliver and evaluate a marketing and communication plan to support the current and future organisation objectives.
To ensure all internal and external communication is of a high standard and consistent with LYG’s brand and key messages.
• To work effectively across the organisation promoting LYG policies, campaigns and brand guidance.
• To act as an advocate for LYG in promoting our work and purpose among all customer groups.
Strategy, planning and management
• Line manage colleague within the Marketing and Communications function.
• Benefit from a Board/staff marketing and communications sub-group.
• Position LYG effectively within the marketplace to be an important influencer in the education, youth sport and sport for development sectors as well as in the media.
• To develop new ideas and creative approaches to communication in order to influence and secure the support of key LYG stakeholders (e.g. young people, local authorities, NGBs, corporate partners and media outlets), as outlined in the organisational strategy.
• Ensure demographic gaps are identified and key customer groups are reached.
• Liaise with key stakeholders and customer groups to provide continuous learning.
External PR and communications
• Provide an integrated promotional mix for the whole organisation.
• Oversee relationships with external PR and marketing providers.
• Support LYG’s professional reputation by advising, proof reading and copywriting plans, bids and proposals for internal and external use as required.
• Maximise LYG brand identity externally through all promotional tools – including advertisements and social media.
• Deliver reactive and pro-active media relations, including building key relationships, writing releases and articles where appropriate.
• Oversee and/or write all marketing resources- including annual report and presentations to ensure consistency across the brand family- on and offline.
• Organise PR events where appropriate.
• Oversee the production of internal communications, where relevant
• Provide branding, proof reading and copy writing support to LYG employees on key messaging.
• Manage content – ensuring an effective website and social media platforms.
• Drive traffic to website, monitoring statistics for improvement.
• Increase brand awareness through social media platforms.
Contribution to the Work of LYG
• To work as a senior member of the LYG team to achieve key organisational outcomes.
• To manage additional marketing, communications and PR support brought in by LYG.
• To work in close communication with customer groups and key partners.
• To support LYG’s work as a contact for all staff regarding marketing and communications.
- Experience in marketing and communications role
- Excellent literacy skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong inter-personal skills and emotional intelligence
- Highly motivated and dedicated
- Excellent IT skills including Word, Power Point and Excel
- High level understanding and experience of digital platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
- A passion for the power of sport
- Experience of developing organisational marketing plans
- Experience of using web and digital analytics
- Ability to use facts and statistics to create meaningful and engaging stories
- Professional marketing/communications qualification
- Experience of working with young people
- Experience of recruiting and managing others
- Experience of working in, or with Third sector.
- Connections with, or experience of working with relevant national, regional and local media.
Other requirements of role
The post holder will need to work some evenings and weekends. This provides the opportunity for flexible working practices. LYG has a commitment to a positive work-life balance.
Equality and diversity
LYG is committed to championing equality and diversity in all aspects of employment and in the services that it provides. All employees are expected to understand and promote the LYG Equal Opportunities Policy in the course of their work.
LYG is fully committed to the principles of the equality of opportunity. We are responsible for ensuring that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment, on the grounds of age, gender reassignment, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, race, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, disability, or socio-economic background than any other.
Disabled applicants meeting the minimum requirement of the role will be offered an interview. Please indicate in your cover letter if this may be applicable to your application.
Interested in applying for this role? Access careers advice on writing a letter of application and preparing for job interviews on our ‘Careers‘ section.