ABOUT COMMON GOAL
Do you believe football has the power to change the world, for the better?
This idea that beautiful game can be an effective tool for social change is what unites the Common Goal movement.
Nearly five years ago, a team of professional footballers kicked off the Common Goal movement by committing to pledge 1% of their salary to change the world, for good.
Today, the movement includes over 150 grassroots organisations and more than 250 professional football players and managers – including Paulo Dybala, Pernille Harder, Timo Werner, Serge Gnabry, Casey Stoney, Jürgen Klopp and Megan Rapinoe. Also influential football figures have joined the movement, such as UEFA President Aleksander ?eferin, professional clubs such as FC Nordsjælland and brands such as adidas and DAZN.
We are at a true historical milestone and as such we have created new opportunities to engage new talent with the drive and passion that changing the world requires.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The role of Managing Director at Common Goal is new and we understand it as a quasi Co-CEO position. The main focus of this role is on developing and managing the core business alongside our CEO, who will dedicate more time to the cultivation and further development of the wider football for good ecosystem. The Managing Director will actively drive our business and organizational development, leading the team in our impact and growth at scale.
We are convinced that it is both, an urgent need and a business imperative to embed purpose in football’s DNA. We believe that football has the potential to be at the core of growing the game while enabling acceleration towards achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Therefore, we are looking for an experienced leader who shares this believe, is passionate about contributing to people and planet and understands the enabling force football needs to unlock. Equally, we are seeking someone who enjoys working in a diverse multi-stakeholder environment together with inspiring talent in a purpose driven team, and is not afraid of headwinds and embraces growth at scale.
Are you excited to take on a role that is critical to growing the game and making the world a better place?
- Co-lead Common Goal, alongside our CEO, and in close collaboration with a highly talented and motivated leadership group. Your focus is on Common Goal’s business development.
- Represent the organization in football and beyond through relationship management, advocacy and negotiations at the C-Level.
- Own the organisational impact/growth at scale, delivering on the growth and impact brief of the newly established board.
- Manage and develop all Heads of Teams, Strategic Alliances lead and CFO, and support their respective career paths through coaching and mentoring.
- Develop high-quality business strategies, based on decentralised, trust-based and horizontal decision making.
- Oversee the translation of the strategies into efficient operational plans, strict alignment with overall and YoY objectives, as well as compliance with legal and business ethics (based on OKR performance metrics).
- Develop and drive an aspirational, results-orientated strategy that further builds and expands the pillars for Common Goal’s financial sustainability.
- Guide internal teams to sharpen their senses for and take decisions towards growth/scale readiness, as well as team-based measures to contribute to the overall financial sustainability, translating Common Goal’s service/promise into opportunities across constituencies.
- Nurture and strengthen the organisational culture. Thrive for maximum efficiency and impact of the organisation while safeguarding the wellbeing of the whole team.
- You have a post-graduate degree in business administration, public administration, sports management, communications, marketing, social sciences or a relevant field of studies.
- You have a minimum of fifteen (15) years entrepreneurial/professional work experience, including at least five (5) years in a leadership position, with advanced understanding of areas of Operations, Growth, Technology and Innovation, ideally with cutting edge expertise in the area of Growth.
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset.
- You are native and/or fluent in at least two (2) languages, including English. Preferred additional language would be German, Spanish, French or Portuguese.
- You are a results-driven strategic thinker with experience in dynamic organisational settings, capable of spearheading change processes.
- You are a person of integrity, authentic, curious, purpose-driven and carry radical collaboration deeply embedded in your believe system.??
- You enjoy leadership, training and the mentorship of talent that surrounds you, as much as you enjoy listening and continuous learning. You are inspirational and have the capacity to motivate and clearly communicate objectives and strategies externally and internally.
- You are a believer in audacious goals, you are not afraid of failing, learning and bouncing back quickly.
- You bring high-quality, relevant and trust-based relationships to the Common Goal movement.
- You communicate clearly, effective, and with empathy at all levels and across all stakeholder groups, from Board to senior leadership to team members to athletes to community organisations.?
- You inspire people to rally behind a collective cause, with a special emphasis on senior executives across a variety of sectors.
- You have the proven ability to open, negotiate and close agreements with a focus on corporate partnerships and football institutions, equipped with the necessary empathy, confidence, mental flexibility and deep understanding of the context the potential partners operate in.?
- You have the ability to integrate creative solutions with market and societal trends and needs on an ongoing basis.
- You strive for best possible service offering at all time.??
- Become part of a vision for football 2030 that aims to enable all stakeholders in the football industry to play their part in accelerating progress towards the Global Goals.
- Join and lead a motivating work culture with highly talented colleagues and peers with dynamic decision-making processes and unique personal development opportunities within an internationally recognised social enterprise.
- Play your part in the world’s biggest community into a more sustainable path and join an innovative, experienced, solutions-oriented, and impact-driven team that is passionate about football for good.
- Enjoy flexible working arrangements, an inspiring and centrally located office, 30 days annual leave and other great features to enable an optimal balance between work and personal life.
- Make a full-time position in Berlin your own, starting in Q3 this year with attractive conditions.
- Last but not least, join an international squad of 18 nationalities, speaking more than 12 languages, where 100% of your future teammates agreed in the latest staff survey that “fellow team members are committed to doing quality work.”
HOW TO APPLY
Kick things off by sending us your application with your CV and a letter of motivation that highlights a few of your key achievements via our online webform. We will review applications on a rolling basis and contact suitable candidates for an initial interview.
Common Goal is an equal opportunities employer and strongly committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and building a multicultural environment. We encourage applications from all suitably qualified and experienced people! Women, those identified as female and/or non-binary, and people from minority backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Access our ‘Careers in…’ webinar series on our YouTube channel HERE