Independent Non-Executive Director
We are seeking up appoint up to three new Independent Non-Executive Directors who will bring experience on the board of Pentathlon GB, participating in board meetings to enable the board to
reach decisions and make sure that the organisation’s vision, mission and strategy are met and fulfilled.
We are seeking particular experience in Communications/Media, Strategic Leadership and Knowledge/Experience of Modern Pentathlon.
Successful candidates will help shape the future of the sport by offering strategic advice to the Chair and Chief Executive and key members of the Pentathlon GB Executive Leadership Team.
Pentathlon GB is committed to continuing to increase the diversity of the Board and will therefore particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified individuals from groups generally under-represented in the community.
About Pentathlon GB:
Pentathlon GB (PGB) is the National Governing Body for the sport of Modern Pentathlon with a rich history of Olympic success.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be involved with an Olympic sport in a critical role as we move into the Paris 2024 cycle and beyond.
Core responsibilities and obligations of the role will include, but are not limited to:
- Attending all Board meetings called during the year (5 or 6 in total plus membership of one or more Board committees), unless prevented by exceptional circumstances;
- Supporting the Chair and Board in promoting good governance practice, corporate leadership, ED&I, people development and driving and measuring the effectiveness and efficiency of PGB;
- Championing your area of expertise within the Board and also with the Management Team, and acting member of such Committees or Working Groups as the Board shall decide;
- Setting the company’s strategic aims, ensuring that the necessary financial and human resources are in place for the company to meet its objectives, and review management performance;
- Enforcing the company’s values and standards to ensure that its obligations to its members and others (including funders) (including all its statutory obligations) are understood and met;
- Constructively formulating, debating and implementing the Company’s aims and develop proposals on strategy;
- Satisfying themselves as to the integrity of the Company’s financial information provided to the Board and in the Company’s financial statements; and that financial controls and systems of risk management are robust and appropriate;
- Being responsible for determining appropriate levels of remuneration of executive directors; have a prime role in appointing (and if necessary removing) directors and in succession planning;
- Scrutinising the performance of management in meeting agreed goals and objectives and monitor the reporting of performance;
- Seeking to establish and maintain confidence in the conduct and performance of the Company;
- Supporting initiatives which will promote, embed and advance equality, diversity and inclusion in every aspect of the Company’s performance.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience working in a sporting or comparable environment ideally at Board or Senior Executive level with experience of a high level of accountability;
- Time & capacity to attend board meetings (5 or 6 a year – physical or remote attendance) and contribute fully to meetings and decision-making processes;
- Alignment with Organisational Values;
- A willingness to complete assignments and act as part of a sub-committee and complete appropriate reports to the Board;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively within the Board and knowledge of how a Board should operate;
- A proven ability to demonstrate strategic thinking and leadership;
- An ability to champion corporate governance, finance, and high ethical standards of integrity and probity;
- A strong personal commitment to Diversity, Equality and Inclusion;
- Excellent written and verbal communication, problem solving and decision-making skills;
- The ability to listen sensitively to the views of others, inside and outside the Board, displaying good judgement and decisiveness in pressured circumstances and the skills and experience to influence decision making.
At least one of the following:
- Background within Communications and/or Media;
- Experience of strategic leadership in a consumer or leisure focused business;
- Knowledge of, and experience within the sport of Modern Pentathlon at an elite performance level;
- Candidates ready to take on broader Board responsibilities in the short to medium term.
Pentathlon GB is committed to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation to bring new and different perspectives to our work. So that we can more closely reflect UK society, we particularly encourage applications from individuals within groups which are currently underrepresented within our organisation, most specifically candidates from an ethnically diverse background and/or individuals with a disability or long-term health condition.
How to Apply
To apply for the Independent Non-Executive Director role please submit a covering letter with a detailed CV, along with a copy of our Equality & Diversity monitoring form (https://www.pentathlongb.org/p/work-for-us) which will be processed separately from your application, and send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org The covering letter should explain why this role interests you and how your experience addresses the criteria set out in the Independent Non-Executive Director Role Specification. Closing Date for Applications: 17:00 hrs, Monday 28 February 2022 (We reserve the right to close the position once sufficient applications have been received) Interviews for the position will be scheduled after 14 March 2022
Join our Careers in Sport mentoring programme – HERE