The Active Sussex Board is seeking to appoint an individual with the necessary blend of skills and experience as Independent Chairperson of the Trust, and more specifically to provide committed leadership to the Board and Chief Executive, acting as a driving force to further develop its commitment and vision to increasing participation in sport and physical activity across Sussex.
The Sussex County Sports Partnership Trust is a company limited by guarantee and a registered charity. It is one of 43 County Sports Partnerships across England with the role of supporting increased participation in sport and physical activity for all members of the community.
The Independent Chairperson will have the following attributes:
- Will be committed to the County Sports Partnership (Active Sussex)
- Will show willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Have the necessary strategic vision
- Can exercise good, independent judgement
- Possesses a strict sense of confidentiality
- Is able to think creatively
- Will show willingness to speak their mind
- Has an understanding of and accepts the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship
- Is able to work effectively as a member of a team
- Has an understanding of Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
- Has excellent leadership skills and prior experience of committee work
- Can exercise tact and diplomacy in their work
- Possesses good communication and interpersonal skills
- Acts with impartiality, fairness and has the ability to respect confidences
- Is willing to undergo an Enhanced CRB check
Equality and Diversity:
Active Sussex have adopted a target of maintaining a minimum of 30% of each gender on its Board and to progress towards achieving gender parity and greater diversity generally on the Board, including, but not limited to, Black, Asian, minority ethnic (BAME) diversity and disability. Applications are therefore particularly welcomed from people with disabilities and BAME groups as they are all currently under represented within the Active Sussex Board.
How to Apply?
Candidates should submit their CV, together with a covering letter which expresses their rationale and interest for applying along with how they meet the role and person specification, plus a signed copy of the declaration (PDF).