Position title: Head Coach and Mentor
Reporting to: DOR of Mad Dog Sport
Responsible for: The ‘Mad Dog’ rugby and enrichment programme delivery at Park House School
Salary: £21,000 – £23,000 dependant on experience
Benefits include: Auto Enrolment Pension, CPD’s, aligned School and Bank holiday leave (circa 9 weeks)
Location: School based, Newbury, Berkshire with ability to travel to HQ in Bradford on Avon and other locations when required
Term: Full time, Fixed term 11months & 1 week (40 hours p/w, generally 8am-4pm with flexibility around the timetable and dependant on away fixture returns, term time)
Closing Date: 18th July 2022 at 5pm
Interview Date: 25th/26th July 2022
Position start date: 23rd August 2022
Mad Dog Sport
This is a brilliant opportunity to become part of Mad Dog Sport, owned by former England Rugby International, Lewis Moody, which integrates full time 6th form Rugby programmes and Junior Academy pathways into State Schools and Academies. The programmes sit alongside academic studies; A’levels and BTECS, with a focus on developing rugby engagement and performance, delivering wellbeing and life skills and supporting student’s with their academic goals and post school aspirations.
We are looking for a new team member who wants to challenge themselves, develop their skills and gain experience as a Head Coach and mentor at our Mad Dog programme based out of Park House School, Newbury.
As a company that promotes collaborative thinking to evolve the programmes, we are looking for someone that will bring a proactive and innovative mindset. You will have a proven record in building and maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders and be passionate and focused about the development of young people between the ages of 16-18, both on and off the field, as well as have the ability to coach and inspire young rugby players both girls and boys between 11-15 years old, through our junior academy pathway.
Pastoral care is a large part of the role, so being an empathetic coach/mentor with the ability to listen and support pupils will be key.
You will be responsible for the successful growth of the programme and will need to be proactive in engaging potential Mad Dog pupils, both internally and externally, promoting the values and standards of Mad Dog Sport at all times; 24hr role model.
Working independently, you will need to be extremely organised and efficient with your administration skills and confident to deliver classroom sessions and workshops.
Successful applicants will be supported through 1-2-1 goal setting and mentoring with Lewis Moody and helped to develop as a coach, with encouragement to pursue further CPD courses and coaching qualifications through the various mediums including England Rugby. Internal CPD’s around behavioural profiling, team communication, athletic development and psychological safety are also provided.
- Aged 21 or over
- England Rugby Award (formally known as, Level 2) qualification or equivalent, with Level 3 course booked or aspiration to book, preferable
- Evidence of coaching experience for at least 3 years
- Excellent organisation and communication skills evidenced through previous work/voluntary commitments
- Full clean UK Driving license
- First aid qualifications (will be provided if not up to date)
Preferable experience or qualifications:
Experience as a coach lead at a school, club or Premiership club DPP
Experience working in a school environment
Strength and Conditioning/Personal Training (Level 1)
Mad Dog Sport is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young adults. Successful candidates will be offered the role but will need to be DBS Advance checked before being confirmed in position.
All Mad Dog coaching staff are put through a first aid course, specifically for sport, if current qualification is not up to date.
Key areas of work:
- To fully deliver the coaching values, skills and training as laid out in the Mad Dog Rugby Syllabus
- Plan and deliver training sessions around the syllabus, whilst being encouraged to build your own coaching style and philosophy
- To make team selection and attend all match day fixtures
- Conduct post match analysis through video footage
- Oversee the delivery of the athletic development programmes and document and communicate individual and group progress of players.
- Deliver the wellbeing and life skills sessions provided
- Oversee the junior pathway programme for both boys and girls through rugby clubs, gym blocks and strong girls club. Working with school coaches to implement and help develop as necessary to create an aspirational pathway
- Organise pre season and sign off all trip forms
- Have clear communication with academic tutors to monitor progress of student studies and attendance
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholder at the school, with sponsors and local clubs
- Provide 1-2-1 goal setting and support throughout the school year with open communication to develop each pupils sporting and academic goals
- Be the local rugby clubs point of contact to give open communication re injury and workload of players
- Be responsible for and proactive in recruitment across the community in both schools and clubs
- Be a positive role model and embody the values and standards of Mad Dog Sport.
The position will commence from the 23rd August 2022 – 31st July 2023.
Careers in Sport CPD directory HERE