University Campus of Football Business (UCFB) is a world first in sports education. Proudly the UK’s fastest-growing higher education institution since our launch in 2011, UCFB’s campuses are based at the iconic Wembley Stadium and Etihad Stadium.
In 2020, UCFB launched the Global Institute of Sport (GIS), our new destination for Master’s degrees and executive education in the UK, online and at inspirational stadium hubs at Inter Miami CF Stadium, New York’s Red Bull Arena, Atlanta’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Toronto’s BMO Field and the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Australia.
Our collaborations with elite sports organisations allow us to lead the field in producing the next generation of sports graduates. Partners include The Football Association, Kick It Out, the League Managers Association, the National League and the Rugby Football League domestically, as well as our global hub partners in the USA, Canada and Australia.
Our award-winning team
This position for a highly ambitious individual would see the successful candidate join an exciting team that won Best Non-Match Day Use of Venue at the Sports Business Awards, Best Sponsorship & Engagement at the Northwest Football Awards and was shortlisted for Team of the Year at both the Marketing Week Awards and Times Higher Education Leadership & Management Awards.
Although the basics of the role are described here, we will be looking for energy, values and commitment to both our organisation and to your career. Our recruitment process will be rigorous and demanding, as will this role within a high performing department. In return, we can offer honesty, integrity and the chance to progress in the organisation as quickly as you develop within it.
UCFB is seeking an ambitious and driven Events Manager, with an appetite to grow and progress their career.
This role will oversee a portfolio of UK based events at our iconic Wembley and Etihad stadium campuses and online. Whilst responsible for the production of all UCFB and GIS UK events from conception through to completion, the role will be based at and have a more active delivery focus on events at our Etihad Campus.
During the Coronavirus pandemic and with associated restrictions, this role will ensure that UCFB & GIS virtual events and experiences can fill the void, meeting the needs of our customers, until face to face events can resume.
It will require an events professional with significant and proven experience in a range of event types, with the ability to be adaptable and to deliver high quality events whilst working with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
Leading a UK events team across two sites (Manchester & Wembley, London), this successful candidate will ensure quality and consistent delivery of both UCFB & GIS Marketing & Student Recruitment events in the UK, including open days, taster days, special guest speaker events on campus and online, graduation ceremonies, partner events and student conferences. The number of events and event types are continually growing in line with company expansion.
Our unique venues and high profile partner organisations require this role to think through the challenges and restrictions of each event, finding solutions to achieve the best results possible.
An understanding of sporting venues/stadiums and the sports and/or education industries in general would be advantageous, but not essential. Some knowledge or experience in producing online events (e.g. live webinars) would also be beneficial.
Excellent working relationships with the UCFB Facilities, IT and Finance teams will be key in this role, requiring the post holder to liaise effectively for both delivery of and staffing events.
As a crucial member of the Marketing department, this role will also work closely with the Head of UK Student Recruitment and the International Events Manager, providing effective team support wherever necessary. Opportunities may also arise for travel to and support on International events at our Global Study Hubs and campuses in the USA, Canada and Australia.
- Lead and evolve the strategy for UCFB and GIS core marketing and student recruitment events.
- Schedule and deliver high quality student recruitment events (Open Days & Taster Days) for future undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Schedule and deliver our flagship student events (including but not limited to: Graduations, Careers Fairs, Student Conferences) and Business Development / Partner events, with a delivery focus on Etihad Campus events, but including oversight of Wembley Events.
- Manage the Assistant Events Manager (based at Wembley), to ensure the calendar of events across campuses is planned together effectively. Per campus, there are currently around 15-20 events a year; however, the event calendar is growing all the time, with new partner events each year.
- In a period of face to face events not being possible, ensure we still achieve our desired outcomes and goals through virtual events and experiences.
- Manage a team of Recruitment & Events Coordinators.
- Work with Head of UK Student Recruitment to ensure event strategy meets recruitment requirements, but also to foster and develop partner relations through event delivery and / or concept creation.
- Communicate with internal stakeholders, negotiating fairly and effectively where priorities across the business may differ.
- Continually monitor and review event delivery, achievement against KPI targets and customer feedback.
- Create new event concepts to support business goals and requirements.
- Produce detailed proposals for events e.g. timelines, venues, suppliers, legal obligations, staffing.
- Ensure consistency of delivery, content and brand across UCFB core events across both UK campuses.
- Ensure legal, insurance, health and safety obligations are adhered to.
- Coordinate venue management, caterers, contractors and equipment hire.
- Oversee organisation of facilities for car parking, traffic control, security, first aid and hospitality.
- Identify and secure guest speakers or special guests, potentially liaising with key partners of the organisation to do so.
- Plan room layouts and the entertainment programme, scheduling workshops and demonstrations.
- Coordinate internal staff communication and staff briefings, with regards to events.
- Coordinate suppliers, handle client queries and troubleshooting on the day of the event to ensure that all runs smoothly.
- Ensure the contact / communication strategy for events is effective and relevant stakeholders are always up to date on event planning and/or requirements.
- Event budget management and reconciliation.
- Travel to other campuses to line mange, assist or cover event delivery.
- Potential opportunity for travel to and support on International events.
What we offer in return
In return not only will you have the opportunity to make life-transforming, career making education, but we offer a whole range of financial and non-financial benefits too:
- Enhanced occupational sick pay
- Life assurance
- Free eye tests and VDU glasses
- Flexible benefits package with Perkbox (some of which includes health cash plan, Denplan, half price cinema tickets, free mobile phone insurance, 20% off Virgin trains, discounted private health insurance, discounted gym membership, hundreds of high street discounts and much more)
Family friendly benefits:
- Enhanced occupational maternity/paternity pay
- Compassionate leave/time off for dependants
- Competitive holiday entitlement
- Christmas closure
- Day off for your birthday
- 24/7 employee support hub (via Perkbox)
- Flexible working
- Continuing professional development
- Ride to Work Scheme
- Annual family barbeque
- Staff led events committee
- End of year review day and awards dinner
- Back to work conference
Working hours: Working hours normally 8.30 am – 5pm but may involve additional and unsocial working hours depending on the nature of the event and occasional travel between campus.
Please note that if you do not have permission to work in the UK, UCFB will not be able to obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship for you to take up this position. All non EU/EAA candidates must have valid immigration status and/or a UK visa valid for the duration of the contract in order to be considered for this role.