The Director of Sport will be a high profile figure within the school. He/she will be an innovative, charismatic and dynamic coach and administrator, who will be responsible for and oversee a large and successful sports department. Danes Hill places considerable emphasis on sport and has an outstanding reputation of achievement at local, regional and national levels. One primary objective of the Director of Sport will be to consolidate and further enhance the school’s reputation for excellence in sport for both boys and girls.
Sport at Danes Hill
At least twenty-five different sports are played within our 55 acre site. For the boys, the major sports are rugby, football, cricket and hockey while the girls have regular fixtures against other schools in hockey, netball, tennis and cricket. There is a wide variety of other sports: including swimming, athletics, golf, shooting, badminton, climbing and basketball to name but a few.
The sporting facilities are impressive and include a purpose-built Sports Hall with an indoor climbing wall, 2 astro-turf hockey pitches, 6 cricket squares, tennis and netball courts, 6 rugby pitches and a 25 metre swimming pool.
The successful applicant will be responsible for the delivery of the sports curriculum for all boys and girls at the Preparatory School. He or she will be assisted by the Head of Girls’ Games and 8 members of the sports department.
- Foster the highest standards of professionalism within the Games Department, whilst ensuring that team spirit is always in evidence.
- Undertake annually the production of the PE & Games syllabus, detailed schemes of work, risk assessments and other documentation consistent with directives issued by the Deputy Headmaster.
- Overall responsibility for after school sports activities, weekend fixtures, sporting excursions, holiday sports courses, sports tours and sports related social events, ensuring that staffing is adequate and satisfies school and departmental policies.
- Manage the Games Department budget.
- Maintain high levels of communication with parents — recording all formal communications with them.
- Participate in the preparation of pupils for senior schools, including writing references for those applying for Sports Scholarships.
- Ensure the best of working synergies between boys and girls sports.
- Maintain a strong ethos of equal opportunities in sport at all levels for both boys and girls.
- Coordinate the day to day running of the Boys’ and Girls’ Games departments, including fixtures.
- Promote a culture of good order, discipline and respect for others among pupils.
- Deal with parental / staff enquiries or complaints about Games issues.
- Liaise with Reception about the day’s events / issues.
- Provide guidance, advice and updates to staff and governors on sport.
- Schedule and chair a weekly meeting with all sports teachers.
- Liaise with the Head Groundsman, the Catering Manager, Sports Hall Manager and the Head of Marketing.
- Fully utilise all school vehicles of communication such as the weekly newsletter, school website, Instagram and ClarionCall.
- Organise transport to and from sporting fixtures offsite.
- Coordinate termly planning in PE and Games, including fixtures.
- Represent the Games department at HOD meetings, Academic Committee and Calendar Committee meetings.
- Arrange agendas and minutes for the two Games Department meetings each term.
- Ensure all fixtures are organised and are entered correctly into the calendar.
- Find appropriate professional sports coaching courses for Department members to attend.
- Ensure, in liaison with the school nurse, that all First Aid measures are in place and that all staff are suitably qualified.
- Run the Sports Days in accordance with the SOP.
- Liaise with the Bursar, Deputy Head and the Health and Safety Officer with regard to health and safety matters.
- Assist with the organisation of Sports Tours.
- Organise the annual Rugby Dinner.
- Assist with the organisation of the Girls’ Games Dinner.
- Be a pastoral tutor in the Upper School.