JOB TITLE: Deputy Head Grounds Person
LOCATION: AESSEAL NEW YORK STADIUM
REPORTS TO: Head Groundsman
INTERNAL LIAISON: Stadium Manager, Grounds & Maintenance Team, First
Team Management, COO
WORKING HOURS: 42 Hours per week plus attendance at all home fixtures (lieu time accrued)
SALARY: Dependant on experience.
The Deputy Head Grounds Person will work with the Head Groundsman to ensure the delivery of playing surfaces at all club sites are prepared and maintained to the highest standards. They will be responsible for the delivery of grounds maintenance associated services and processes, that support the operation of all sites. They will also set and ensure the highest standards of safety in all aspects of grounds maintenance for colleagues and customers.
Roles and responsibilities (will include but not be limited to);
• To lead and assist in the organisation of the grounds team’s day to day duties.
• To deliver high quality grounds maintenance at all RUFC sites to the highest
• To organise the ground staff and general running of the grounds in the Head Groundsman’s absence.
• To be responsible for allocated ground maintenance tasks from start to completion
including line marking, cylinder mowing, rotary mowing, divoting, irrigation, overseeding, fertilising, spraying, tractor and tractor mounted equipment work and
any other grounds maintenance and landscape maintenance tasks that are
• To achieve the external and internal standards required in relation to playing
• To support match day operations in all first team competitions or as requested by RUFC.
• To ensure the weekly/day to day operation for the delivery of grounds services at
RUFC sites is to the highest standard, in line with health and safety, legislative,
environmental and certifying authorities compliance and best practice.
• To monitor the results of the grounds maintenance service and suggest and deliver
• To keep hard surfaces in good tidy condition, tasks include sweeping and weeding.
• To ensure the machines, equipment and facilities are well maintained.
• To assist with gritting and clearing snow as required.
• To liaise and organise contractors at all RUFC sites when required by the Head
• Be available for any training as requested by the football club.
• Any other duties as required and directed by the Owner, Stadium & Facilities
Manager or COO.
Skills & Experience Required
• Qualified with an NVQ Level 2 in Sports Turf Management or equivalent
• NVQ Level 3 in Sports Turf Management or equivalent
qualification (desirable or working towards).
• Experience in working on Fibre Sand professional sports pitches (desirable).
• PA1, 2a and 6 Spraying certificates are desirable.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Excellent organisational skills with the ability to remain calm under pressure.
• Ability to lead a team to achieve the desired standards.
Please complete the application form that can be found on the Club website https://www.themillers.co.uk/club/club-policies/ and return as requested as an upload to Indeed along with your CV and covering letter stating your suitability for the role.
Unfortunately, your application may not be processed without a completed application form being returned to the Club
We reserve the right to close the vacancy early if sufficient applications are received.
Rotherham United takes safeguarding very seriously and is committed to ensuring that all children and adults at risk are safeguarded at all times when engaging in Club activities or services. The club has numerous safeguarding policies and best practice guidelines to support this and expects all employees to adopt such policies and practices at all times.
The club adheres to strict guidelines, policies and procedures when recruiting staff who work with children and/or adults at risk and is committed to ensuring staff receive appropriate safeguarding training suitable to their role/s. Successful applicants are expected to share the club’s approach to safeguarding at all times.
The post holder’s duties must be carried out in compliance with the Club’s Equal Opportunities Policy, with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and subsequent Health and Safety Legislation.
Rotherham United is an equal opportunities employer and a signatory to the new FA Football Leadership Diversity Code and all applicants for employment will be given equal opportunities irrespective of sex, age, race, religion or belief, marriage or civil partnership, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, pregnancy or maternity, ethnic or national origin.
These duties and responsibilities should be regarded as neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other reasonably determined duties and responsibilities within Rotherham United Football Club, commensurate with the post without changing the character of the post. This post requires a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) enhanced Criminal Records Check (CRC) check with a barred list check. The applicant must be prepared to submit a CRC application if they do not hold and FA CRC Certificate. This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974). Information on all convictions including spent convictions must be declared, in line with the new Government Filtering System.
If you wish to see our Candidate Privacy Notice, please visit:
Employment is subject to the provision of proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Application deadline 29 October 2021 – we may close this vacancy earlier than this date if sufficient suitable applications are received.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Follow Covid protocols on site and wear a mask where required